Thursday 4 October 2012

Parade murder

Another Seeker extract. It's the last one for tonight I promise!

Bethan xx



“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Ben growled, moving out of the way of a huge guy dressed up in brightly coloured paper. The booming of drums crashed around us and some men were chanting along in sync. The air smelled of hot dogs and popcorn. Laughter and singing mingled in with the raucous celebration and I had to catch by breath, fighting the disorientation created by the parade. A huge dragon head suddenly filled my vision and I bit back a scream, stumbling back a step into Ben’s chest. He placed a protective hand on my shoulder and his touch helped me to relax a little.
I gulped. “What now?”

Now we need to find David Blackburn. You’ll feel him Lauren. You’ll sense his presence – he’s an old and very powerful Seeker, so whatever you do...don’t let go of my hand.

Ok.

Ben shoved into the crowds, ignoring the yells as we pushed in the opposite direction to everyone else. We skirted around some floats and a couple of cars and then plunged back into the crowds again. There were so many people here. How on earth would we be able to find one man?

Ben glanced back at me and squeezed my hand.

Crazy huh?

Too crazy.

He’s got to be here somewhere, Lauren. Just hold on...

I am, I promise.

Flexing my hand in his, I realised how safe I felt with him. Safer than I’d ever felt with...anyone, even Luke. It was nice. Very nice.

As we passed people melting under the baking sun, caked in heavy makeup and costumes, I was glad of my light shorts and t-shirt. Looking around at the sweltering crowds and dehydrated people, it didn’t seem like fun. Not that this was –

What the...?

Ben’s hand tightened again. You feel that?

Yes, I replied, turning my head this way and that, checking the crowds. What is that?

Ben drew to an abrupt halt, pulling me to a standstill. He groaned. This isn’t happening.

What? I eyed him apprehensively, before following his gaze through the parade.

There. He nodded his head and I squinted in the bright light, trying to see what had caught his attention. Focusing, I searched the energy that  had felt a few moments ago, and with my Seeker senses, I zoomed in on a young couple both wearing skin-tight, dark suits, contrasting with their brightly coloured surroundings, in a corner by an alleyway. They were both very beautiful, with clear, olive skin that glowed in the hot sun. Both had black, satin hair; the man’s cropped short, but the woman’s falling halfway down her back. There was a similarity in their features that suggested that they could be siblings, but something wasn’t quite right. There movements were too...animalistic and flowed much more smoothly than a normal human’s would.

Titans, Ben thought.

No way...

Yes way, and not just any titans. He looked down at me now, his eyes hard. Independent titans, ones that can think for themselves. They have a master, but they are used as assassins by very powerful Seekers. They are specifically hired for large, complicated missions. They’re very rare and very, very dangerous.

My stomach flipped at the thought of independent, assassin titans. I hadn’t even known that such titans existed, but they didn’t sound good, especially if they were as dangerous as Ben claimed.

How do they kill? Do they have specific powers?

Ben’s face twisted into a frown. Extremely beautiful to lure their prey, superfast and strong and they can use magic like us...

Not much then? I thought sarcastically in an attempt to quell the fear rising in my chest. Why are they here?

Not to enjoy the parade, that’s for sure. Ben’s forehead crinkled in concentration and concern. Lauren, I have to stop them. I can’t just stand by and let them murder someone here, when I know that I could have done something about it.

I know, but I’m coming with you.

No.

Yes.

Lauren, I don’t have time to argue about this.

Neither did I. Tugging out of his grip, I began pushing through the crowds towards the alleyway. Feeling the heat of Ben’s growl on my back, I looked over my shoulder defiantly. What do we do?

You do nothing. Just stay out of the way.

Not even given time to roll my eyes, I gaped as Ben shot by me in a blur, disappearing into the dark of the alley. Panic suffused me at the thought of one of the titans hurting him and I dashed into the alley after him. The smell of garbage and vomit flooded my nose and I swallowed back the bile that was rising in my throat. Stepping into the mouth of darkness, my gasping breaths sounded overly loud and I clamped my hand over my mouth, willing my eyes to adjust to the light.

A yell suddenly pierced the air and I dove forward, the sounds of glass smashing and loud rustling setting my heart to pounding.

“Jesus Christ!” a man cried out in fear, his voice reaching me only seconds before he stumbled out of the dimness, blood seeping from a fleshy wound on his lower arm. Pale and weak, completely disoriented by fear, he fell past me out into the main streets.

Stuff this!

Petrified, I strode into the alley, the shapes of overflowing bins and liners bulging with sickly rubbish spilling out onto the dirt-infested space formed before my eyes as they adjusted. Stepping tentatively over a puddle that could have been anything from water to urine, I wrinkled my nose, trying to hear past the pounding of blood in my ears. My eyes widened at the sight of a bloody hand lying limp on the ground and as soon as I saw the blood, the coppery smell overwhelmed the stench of rubbish, filling my head. I couldn’t help gagging; the damage must be extensive to produce that much blood, and I didn’t want to look to closely. Hurrying forward, I was just about to fall to my knees and inspect him when a gust of wind blew past me, carrying Ben in it. He slammed into the wall beside me, his head cracking against the bare brick, a few rubbish bags breaking his fall. I bit back another scream, but yelled out his name instead, my voice shooting up three octaves.

Making towards him, I was surprised to be stopped by a large hand wrapping round my throat. Clawing at the hand, I was lifted off the ground, my feet dangling helplessly as I struggled to draw a breath. My captor turned me around so I was facing him and my stomach flipped in horror. It was one of the titans – the male assassin – strongly built and wickedly beautiful. Despite my current predicament, I couldn’t help but admire his perfect features, even as he boldly clutched my throat. He squeezed tighter and black spots danced over my vision. Biting my nails into the titan’s hand, I raked them deep and the titan winced, just before I lost consciousness.

 

Ben pounded a fist against the invisible enchantment the titan has placed around him, while it choked the life out of Lauren. Before it’d caught Lauren, Ben had been able to think. The titan was more powerful than it should have been, almost as if it had been drawing energy from somewhere. When the barrier went up around him, his eyes had zeroed in on the trinket around its neck. A Seeker’s charm – it was drawing power from it. His only thought had been the talisman around the titan’s neck and how he had to destroy it...until he was unravelled by its attack on Lauren.

The emotions had almost consumed him as he kicked, punched and spelled the invisible wall that was keeping him from her, was nothing like they had described. There was no moment like this. There was terror and fury and panic and helplessness. It was unrelenting and agonising as it clawed and cloaked all rationality and coherent thought, reducing him to a slavering animal, desperate to obliterate the titan who dared to hurt what he was bound to protect. What was his.

When Lauren’s eyes rolled into the back of her head, Ben stilled, staring in disbelief as the titan released her; its hand unwrapping from around her throat. Lauren’s body hit the concrete with a thud as she collapsed. Sprawled out on the filthy ground, her limbs were limp and her hair spread out like a pillow around her head, her throat raw from strangulation. Ben waited in agonising stillness for the rise and fall of her chest to start again, and when it did eventually come, the tension eased, rationale seeping back into his thoughts.

The titan took a few steps towards him, a smug smile on its perfect face. Ben was filled with fury, and felt it build up, preparing to be unleashed.

“I’ll deal with the girl after I’ve gotten you for good. Intervening children. But you showed some skill. What say I release you so we can fight it out like real men?”

Ben growled deeply, the sound so animalistic, he surprised himself. Muscles coiled and ready to spring, he let the magic and adrenaline seep into his body and flood his limbs with strength. A strength Lauren so obviously lacked at the moment, he considered as he glanced at her, his stomach twisting sickeningly at the sight. Blood had started to seep from the back of her head as a patch of her hair darkened to a deep red and he felt sick. Hatred flooded his veins and fuelled his anger and strength. The titan raised a hand and suddenly Ben felt the barrier dissipate to nothing and launched himself forward without hesitation. His foot flew towards the titan’s head at blurring speed, but somehow it managed to catch his ankle and swing him off course, moving unbelievably fast.

Ben crashed into the opposite wall and spat blood from his aching mouth, scrambling back to his feet again.

“Boltflare,” he hissed, pushing the flames towards the titan. But again, it deflected his attack and the flames dispersed instantly.

This is getting old, Ben thought, hissing in frustration. He reached into his pocket and pulled out an amulet, shoving the string over his head.

“Jetwing, attack!” he yelled and felt the instant release of energy from the amulet. Jetwing appeared; talons already curled outwards and tore at the assassin’s face. The titan screeched in pain, his hand batting the air to fend off his attacker. Not wanting to lose an opportune moment, Ben yelled “Surgir”, sending the assassin tumbling in the dirt and splitting a bag of rubbish. Filth oozed from the split liner, revealing rotten food and the titan’s head emerged, a filled nappy on its head. Disgusted, the titan ripped it off and let out a growl of anger.

“Filthy Seeker child!” the titan screeched, his eyes bulging as he lunged to grab Ben’s throat.

“I’m not the one with baby poop in my hair,” Ben quipped as he dodged the attack, darting to the left. The titan snarled in anger, swiping again and his foot connected with Lauren’s still body. She let out a groan and choked, her fingers twitching. Ben’s eyes immediately flashed to her, leaving him open. The titan took advantage of his distraction and blasted Ben off his feet, sending him crashing into a wall. Ben groaned and shook his head, trying to dissipate the black spots in his eyes. Suddenly the titan’s head filled his vision; its perfect face twisted into an ugly snarl of rage. Its hand shot out, gripping Ben’s throat tightly and lifting him off his feet.

“STOP!” a voice choked and Ben shuddered in relief at Lauren, who has managed to pull herself to her feet. Her face was bruised and her neck swollen and his stomach twisted again at the blood that was trickling down her hairline. She was badly hurt, but conscious. “I command you to release him.”

Ben’s eyes flickered back to the titan, who had paused, its face torn with loyalties. Even Ben felt the power in Lauren’s words; the cool authority underlining her command as it washed over him.

“Now!” Lauren choked and coughed deeply, her face twisted in pain.

Suddenly the titan’s grip released him, letting Ben fall to the ground with a thump. He shot up quickly and pulled the titan’s hands behind its back, restraining it.

“Ropebind,” Ben muttered and instantly the magical ropes emerged from the ground, capturing the titan in an iron grip.

“Everfight,” Lauren whispered and Ben saw some of her bruises fade and she stood up straighter, strength back in her limbs. She touched her neck, wincing, before drawing those eyes of hers to meet the titan’s.

“You ok?” Ben asked quietly, wishing he could just grab her and hide her somewhere where nothing bad could ever hurt her again.

“I’m fine,” she reassured him, taking a few tentative steps towards him, her hair falling into her face. She tucked a few strands behind one ear with a trembling hand. Pressing her side up against his, it took everything within him to resist putting an arm round her. She coughed, tears of pain pricking her eyes before throwing her shoulders back determinedly and grabbing the titan’s neck.

“Why are you here? Who sent you?” she demanded, her eyes bright with anger. “Why did you attack us?”

“My...master” the titan gasped, eyes wide and staring. “We were sent to capture you.” Ben’s hand curled into a fist, his muscles tensing. Lauren’s eyes flashed to him, wide with panic, trying to cover the depth of her fear.

“Why?” Ben growled, leaning closer. “Who’s your master?”

“Zafir Cronin,” the titan hissed, its expression strained. His loyalties to his master must be strong.

“Why did he want you to capture us?” Lauren continued, her voice steely.

“I...don’t know mistress. Forgive me.” The titan whispered and Lauren swayed, her knees trembling. Ben placed a tentative hand on her shoulder to steady her and she shot him a grateful smile.

“Where’s your sibling? There were two of you here,” Ben demanded.

“She’s gone. I don’t know where.”

I don’t think we’re going to get anything else out of him Lauren’s voice whispered in Ben’s mind and he nodded.

“Go back to your master and never come near us again.” The titan blinked as the force of Lauren’s command seeped into it. It nodded once and then disappeared into nothing.

They stood in silence for a few seconds, staring at the spot where the titan had been.

That is some seriously wickedly creepy power she has going on, Ben eyed Lauren, not sure what to say. Catching his look, Lauren shrugged wearily.

“I know, it’s creepy.”

He couldn’t help but smile. “A little.”

“It worked though right?”

“It sure did.”

Frowning, Lauren whipped back around, her eyes falling on the body of the guy. “We should help-“

“He’s gone Lauren.” Not wanting her to see the mess the man was in, Ben caught her arm, pulling her back.

“But-“

“He’s dead.”

Hating the way her lip trembled with confusion and distress, Ben wished that there was something he could say or do, but there was really no way to comfort someone during their first experience with death, especially a violent one.

“We need to get out of here,” he told her quietly, trying to draw her gaze away from the young man. “We need to get out and find David. You ok to do that?”

 

 

 

 

New chapter

Accepting that there was nothing to be done for the man was harder than I could have imagined. Numbly, I followed Ben out into the crowd again, disappearing into the main street just in time. Two policemen were approaching the alley with cautious and sober expressions. Feeling sick at the thought of what they might find, I turned away, gripping tight to Ben’s hand. That garish costumes and masks – some seriously freaky – as well as the thumping music and oppressing crowds felt difficult to manage after what had just happened. I was quiet, not even speaking to Ben telepathically and he shot me a few concerned looks, which I ignored.

Impossibly, the main street seemed to be busier than before and people crushed us from all sides. I grimly held onto Ben’s hand and he gripped mine just as tightly. If we lost each other in this mass of people, then I doubt we would have found each other again for a long time.

Circling and searching the crowd again, I began to lose my patience. Where was this guy? Why did there have to be so many people in one place at the same time?! Sensing my frustration, Ben paused and looked down at me.

We will find him Lauren -

But how? This is impossible!

Just as he was about to reply, I felt a strange tugging sensation in my gut and my eyes widened in alarm. Looking up, I saw Ben’s face had twisted into a satisfied smirk.

There we go... he said, searching around. With renewed determination, we ploughed further into the crowd, until we came to a stop outside a café just off the main street. Surprisingly it was rather empty; the metal tables set out under large, brightly coloured umbrellas, plastered in advertisement logos. A few couples were seated and one family, who argued in Spanish, the children noisily slurping their drinks. But just off to the side, was an old man, with bright white hair and fierce, grey eyes which stared intently into the crowd.

Despite the colour of his hair, there seemed to be an air of youth about the man, like he was much older than he appeared. From the description Ben had given me of him, he’d seemed very old indeed, but he was by no means frail. Judging from his appearance, he seemed to be in his mid-sixties, but Ben had made him seem much older.

How old is he Ben?

I’m not sure, Ben frowned. A lot older than he looks though… He was so unhelpful sometimes.

Now what do we do? We found him; what now?

Well…we go speak to him I guess.

I pulled Ben back into the crowd so that we were hidden from the man’s view. Are you nuts? I gasped. We can’t just walk up to him and start talking?!?!

Why not? Ben countered, challenging me with his gaze. We glared at each other for a few seconds, neither of us willing to break away.

I caved in first. Fine, do it your way. But I think this is a really bad idea. Ben rolled his eyes at me and walked back into the open again. Tentatively, I followed, not sure what to expect. I mean…we were about to meet the oldest and most powerful living Seeker in the world – a living legend. This could go all of both ways…

“Mr Blackburn?” Ben asked quietly as he approached the man, his eyes wary. Very slowly, the man turned his head towards Ben, his eyes steely and focused on him. He didn’t say a word at first; he just stared. Then he took a sip of his tea.

“Who wants to know?” he muttered, placing the cup carefully back onto its saucer. His voice was smooth as silk, but his tone icy. His aura pulsed out towards me and brought goosebumps to my skin; I shivered. I could feel his power – not physical, not anymore. But his knowledge – it just seemed to ooze out of him – envelop him.

It occurred to me just then, that if I could read his power, then he could read mine. What would he think of it?

“You’ve got a lot of potential, young one,” the man spoke, addressing me. I looked up and met his gaze, awestruck and astonished.

“Y-you read my mind?” I gasped, shocked. “I thought only a few Seekers could do that, and only if they deliberately shared their thoughts.”

“For most people, yes,” Blackburn agreed softly, taking another sip of his tea and then carefully placing the cup down on the saucer once more. His smile was almost smug. “But as you have already discovered, I am very experienced in advanced magic. Someday, if you work hard - and stay alive – you too will be able to.” He held my gaze, pinning me in place so I was unable to look away. I struggled under his look, but it felt like I was being pinned up against a brick wall. I couldn’t move.

“We need to talk to you sir. Discuss an important…issue…” Ben continued warily and at last Blackburn released me. I let out a huge breath and sucked in fresh air, my heart pounding. My skin was prickling with goosebumps and I was desperate to run away. My knees wobbled and I felt weak, struggling to stay upright.

“It sounds like you had a nasty run-in,” Blackburn chuckled, raising his cup to his lips, ignoring Ben. “You were very lucky. But your power of commanding the titans – you managed to convince it to release your friend…did you not?”

“Get out of my head,” I hissed, narrowing my eyes.

“Lauren! Don’t speak to him like that!” Ben reprimanded me – the cheek – shooting daggers in my direction. I stared right back, unflinching. I didn’t trust this guy at all; there was something seriously off about him. Underlying dark intentions flickered in and out of reach as I tried to read his thoughts – I could get a grip on them. God, this man was as slippery as an eel.

“You should listen to your friend, you know,” Blackburn intervened as I continued to glower at Ben. “You don’t want to make an enemy of me.”

“Maybe not,” I murmured, breaking out of the staring contest. “But I know not always to trust the storied people tell me. Because after all…it could just be a lie. Couldn’t it Mr Blackburn?”

The man chuckled humorously, and lent back in his chair. “Ah, I see you are referring to your fateful brother, Ms Hayden. An unfortunate occurrence that was…a terrible misfortune. Such potential, lost so young…” he trailed off, staring at the crowds. My stomach twisted at his casual dismissal at my brother’s death and my blood heated up in expectant anger. I looked away, struggling to control my building temper.

As I glanced away, Blackburn tutted. “Now, now Lauren…we don’t want to lose our temper now do we?”

I glowered at him, feeling my hands curl into fists and magic dance across my fingers. Was he trying to make me hurt him? But as I spotted the spiteful glint in his eyes, I knew that he was testing me. He was testing my power, but also my control. He wanted me to lose control…

Well I wasn’t going to give him that satisfaction. Taking a deep breath, I pushed down on the angry lava of magic-induced anger that was threatening to rise up. Squashing it down, I felt it settle and cool like a hard lump of rock in my stomach.

When I met his gaze again, I saw his raised eyebrows and a glimmer of respect.

“How long have you been a Seeker young one?” he asked, his eyebrows still raised.

“About four weeks,” I muttered and he chuckled.

“I’m impressed. Even the most advanced Seekers would struggle to contain that level of power so early on. And you have an even greater challenge than most.”

“Sorry?” I frowned in confusion, and I felt Ben’s hand settle on my arm.

“We just need –“ Ben started, but Blackburn let out another low chuckle.

“You mean you haven’t told her?” His eyes were wide in mock shock and he leant back in his chair, trying to hide a smirk behind his hand.

“Told me what?” I asked, turning to Ben. He was glaring at Blackburn with intense anger and hatred. If I had been in the direct line of his glare, I would have shrivelled up with fear. But Blackburn didn’t even seem to notice. He just laughed harder.

“What is he talking about Ben?” I asked, putting myself in Ben’s gaze. As his eyes met mine, his gaze softened slightly and he looked apologetic.

“It’s not my fault, Lauren, I was told not to tell you…the board and Owen and…” I glared and him and stepped closer, so we were nose to nose.

“Just tell me,” I hissed through clenched teeth and Ben sighed.

“Your heritage.” I raised an eyebrow.

“What do you mean, my heritage?”

“Well, you’re a direct descendent from the First Seekers. You are the last true Seeker in the world.” He paused as I took this in.

“And you’re the one that has to kill Cronus.”

No comments:

Post a Comment