Wednesday 27 October 2010

Dramatic scene...

Hi guys,
Below is an intense scene set on top of a building from my Myth Project book; almost at the climax. It's quite dramatic, but I hope you like it.
Thanks
beasle95


As we burst onto the roof, a desperate feeling of horror flooded into my veins.
Blaze was standing so close to the edge of the building. There was no wall or fence to catch him if he fell backwards and tumbled off the top...

“Give it back!” Ryan yelled, pushing Blaze further towards the edge of the roof.

“Never!” Blaze yelled back, his hair whipping across his face.”I’ll never give it to you, even if it means that I die!”

My heart stuttered with each backwards step that he took and I shuddered as he came within a metre.

“Blaze, watch out!” I screamed and he stared at me in response. Ryan whipped around, apparently just aware of our presence.

“You can’t save him though, can you?” Ryan sneered in my direction. “It’s not as if you can lift him up again.” Did he know that I struggled to lift Blaze in particular, or just addressing me as if I couldn’t lift anything with my mind like everyone else? Surely he couldn’t know about us?

He turned back to Blaze. “You’ve got one more chance. Give. It. To me. Now!” Blaze still shook his head.

“Give it to him please!” I begged him, tears starting to stream down my face again. “We can get it back – but you can’t gamble with your own life. If you lose it, then you’ll never get it back!”

“And to achieve what? Waste all this time we’ve spent trying to get it back? I’m not going to let him get it, even if it means dying myself.”

“No!” I screamed, trying to run forward. Jake and Sam grabbed my arms and pulled me back again.

“You can’t do anything Rachel,” Jake yelled into the wind. My hair flew around my face and I struggled against them.

Suddenly Adam and Cara burst out of the fire exit behind us, both holding guns pointing straight at Ryan.

“Step away from Blaze!” Adam bellowed, his voice stolen away and echoing. In a movement quicker than I could follow, Ryan’s arm snapped up, also holding a gun.
Pointing at Blaze.

I trembled and struggled to stay upright. I couldn’t watch him shoot Blaze.
Sam’s voice flashed into my head. Calm down Rachel. Her voice was soothing and calming in my turmoil and panic.

I can’t, I whispered in my mind. Blaze can’t die...I choked back a sob and pushed my hair out of my eyes.

You need to concentrate, Sam’s voice drifted into my head again. Be ready for the unexpected.

I nodded in reply and felt the connection drop away – leaving my head free again.
I reached out in my mind to Blaze, who was still standing way to close to the edge. I focused entirely on him, forgetting my fear and my anger. I felt the cool emotion slip over my face as I steadied Blaze again. For the briefest of moments, his eyes flashed to mine as if he knew I was ready to help him. I stared back coolly, ready to push him forwards if he fell backwards off the roof.

“Step away from the edge!” Adam bellowed. “Move or I’ll shoot!”

“I’ve got nothing to lose.” Ryan’s hair moved in the wind, swirling back and forth as he glared coldly at Adam. “It makes no difference to me if he lives or dies – my men can pick him up at the bottom.”

Ryan pulled the trigger.

Blaze flashed up a shield super fast, but the movement knocked him backwards a little further. I panicked, confused by the sudden appearance of the shield. But Blaze’s shield wasn’t strong enough because he had been weakened so much from the hundreds of bullets earlier. The bullet clipped his shoulder and the shield dropped away. He teetered on the edge and his foot slipped.

Adam pulled the trigger and the bullet hit Ryan’s arm, making him fall to the ground in pain.

“NO!” I hissed through my teeth as Blaze fell over the edge.

“Rachel – you have to catch him!” Cara yelled and Ryan cackled like a madman in response.

“Blaze!” I screamed, running to the edge. I threw myself onto my front and looked down.

Concentrate you idiot! I yelled in my head and forced the cool concentration to fill my head once more. I instantly felt Blaze’s weight and grabbed at it.

Blaze froze in midair and his eyes flickered open in shock. My eyes bulged and cold sweat sprang across my forehead with the weight.

As carefully as I could, I slowly lifted Blaze up, centimetre by centimetre. My whole concentration and mind was focused on him, brining him closer and closer...
You cannot imagine how heavy he felt – like twenty cement trucks all hanging from one tiny thread. My feelings for him had gotten far too strong recently and I was suffering because of it. Stabs of pain shot through my head, getting worse the longer I held him. But I couldn’t let go – I just couldn’t. Blaze’s life literally depended on it.

“C’mon!” I hissed through my teeth which were clenched tightly closed in concentration. Blaze’s head was about a metre away now, but I couldn’t hold him any longer. My eyes watered and I was trembling all over with the exertion. I struggled to concentrate – it was a battle of wills.

“Take. Him Now!” I gasped as Blaze dropped a few centimetres. Sam and Cara were instantly by my side and reached down to take Blaze’s arm. They rolled onto their stomachs to stop themselves being pulled over the edge and wound Blaze upwards.
With the last of my strength, I gave Blaze one final push over the top and collapsed on the ground. My head pounded and swam with dizziness, so I shut my eyes tightly.
Jake gently pulled me away from the edge and I slowly crawled – I didn’t have the strength to stand.

There was a pile of crates about ten metres away and I made my way towards them at a snail’s pace. I turned my back towards the wood and slumped against them. I was so tired – all I wanted to do was sleep. But I had to make sure Blaze was alright first.
With a will power that nearly knocked me unconscious, I raised my head and looked over to Blaze. Adam was trying to get him to lie down and rest, but Blaze pushed past him and ran over to me. Instantly he swept me up in his arms and pulled me to him to tight I couldn’t breathe.

“How did you do that?” he asked, his grin literally reaching his ears.
“I don’t know,” I answered truthfully. But even those three words were an immense effort to get out.

I slumped forwards and Blaze caught me just before I hit the ground. “Rachel?” His beautiful, worried face swam in front of my eyes, spinning round and round.
Feeling sick, I gently closed them and gratefully sank into the folds of unconsciousness.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I definitely believe you can become a published author. I loved this! You should participate in Nanowrimo next year. I'm doing a novel that I plan to submit to an agent next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much :) What is Nanowimo? I wish you all the best of luck with your novel :)
    beasle95 x

    ReplyDelete