Tuesday 13 July 2010

Something else...

The Myth Project isn't the only book that I have writen recently. Another one is about a girl called Lauren Hayden who is 14 years old and is plunged into a world that she didn't even know existed. So now I'm going to include the beginning of this book...you'll have to wait for the rest though!!! ;)

Love beasle95

Preface

I’d never known the boy before he changed my life.
I’d never known the secret that he carried; didn’t know the powers he was capable of.
That I could be capable of.
It wasn’t a bad way to die. Peaceful . To protect the secret that had almost cost the life of the person that had changed your own. To protect the person who had opened up a whole new world and now given you the chance to protect it yourself. Even if you didn’t know whether they were alive or not.
And I knew, even as I stared into the eyes of the man I had trusted, had looked up to; the man that had betrayed me, that I would protect the secret with my life. Just like he did.



Chapter 1
The phone call came in the dead of night. The world was asleep. All was quiet.
I wasn’t asleep. The wind whistled through the chimney, and rain smashed into the windows. I lay, tossing and turning for a while, trying to sleep. But sleep evaded me. I sighed and sat up. This was hopeless. I just couldn’t settle.
And then like a signal from another world, my mobile rang. I froze. Who would be calling me at this time in the night? Wearily I leant over and accepted the call.
“Hello?” I murmured and yawned.
“They’re after me,” said the voice. A low tenor; a teenage boy.
“What? Who’s after you? Who are you?” I had no idea who this person was, or why they had called me.
“Men. Men are after me. They want to get rid of me.”
“Who are they? Why do they want to get rid of you?”
A low chuckle came through the line. “They’re scared of me. They think I’m dangerous.”
“Are you dangerous? But...how did you get my number?”
“I don’t know.”
“How can you not know? Who are you?”
“I remembered it. I was given this number to call if ever I was in trouble. If I knew I was going to die.”
“What?” I was scared now. Really scared. Who was this person? Why was he being chased? “But...but where did you get it from? Who gave it to you?”
“My father; before he died. He told me to call this number if ever I thought I was going to be taken away. To tell you the secret. The secret of what we are.” Was this boy mad? He must be mad, I told myself. But the boy sounded rational, even through his panic, and sheer determination.
“What’s your name? I need your name so that I know if you are the person I need to be speaking to.” I wasn’t going to give this boy my name, so I didn’t answer.
The boy huffed in frustration. “Fine,” he muttered. “I’m guessing its Lauren then? Lauren Hayden?” I froze again. How did he know my name?
“How do you know my name?” I whispered.
“I just told you. It was by my dad. He said I had to call you if ever something happened to me.” He paused. “Lauren, can I trust you? Can I tell you the secret of what we are?” That phrase again. What did he mean ‘what we are?’
“I don’t know what you are talking about. But...you can trust me.” Was I crazy? I had no idea who this boy was; a complete stranger who thought he was going to die.
“But if I tell you, you might end up being in the same danger as me one day. I don’t want to force you...to scare you.”
“It...It’s ok. Just tell me.”
“Ok, get a pen and paper. I need you to write something down.” I pulled out my notebook and biro and sat, the pen poised over the page.
“Shoot.”
“Ok, write down this address: 43 Crescent Road – it’s a coffee shop near to where you live. It’s not far. I want you to meet me there tomorrow morning so that I can deliver a package to you. It’s a journal which holds the secrets that you need to know.”
“You’re about to enter a world very different from your own Lauren. They’re secrets of hidden forces that are starting to resurface, and it is our job to keep them alive. I will help you for as long as I can Lauren, for as long as I live. But I don’t think that’ll be very long.” His voice hardened. I shivered again. He sounded so determined, not scared at all. I knew I wouldn’t be able to discuss my death so rationally.
The boy spoke again, this time a new desperate edge to his voice. “I can’t let it die, Lauren. I can’t let the only thing that has kept me alive die. If you come to this address I’ll give you a journal; my dad’s journal and amulet. Inside them the power lies, and it lies within you too Lauren. Just remember, stay strong.”
“But please! Tell me, what’s your name?” I begged. “I need to know your name.”
The boy huffed, frustrated again. “What’s the name of your eldest cousin?”
“Ben,” I said, confused. “But why –“
“Then just remember me as Ben,” he said. “My name isn’t important, but…if it makes you happy, just remember me as Ben. Just go to that address tomorrow morning and meet me there.” He took in a sharp breath.
“Ben?” I asked. Had he been hurt? “Are you alright?” His voice came back strained as if he was clenching his teeth.
“Sure, I’m fine. Don’t worry about me Lauren. Please, just keep the secret safe.” He paused, and I could hear him running. “I’ve got to go – look after yourself Lauren.” And the line went dead.
I held the phone to my ear for a few seconds, frozen. What had happened to him? All the things he had said – they didn’t make any sense.
I eventually managed to uncurl my fingers enough to drop my phone and lay thinking. The boy said I had power. Sure, I was quite strong, but that wasn’t what he meant. He said the amulet and the journal had power too – the power was inside them. How was I going to get them? I reached over and grabbed my laptop and typed in the address into Google. Good – it wasn’t far away. I could easily catch a bus there. But – I glanced over at my bag full of my clothes for the next few days. I was going away for the weekend the next day with my friends from my youth group. We’d been planning the trip for ages and were all really excited to go, and were leaving early afternoon. I would have to get the journal early to be able to look at it before I went. I couldn’t leave it untouched.
I was way too keyed up to sleep so I wrote down most of what I remembered from the boy’s conversation. I had a feeling I might need it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment